18 July 2013

Grumpy Old Men R Us

I'm clearly getting senile: I'm getting grumpier in my old age.

No, correction ... I've always been senile and grumpy.

I get more and more irritated, to put it mildly, by sales droids cold calling me. They ring the landline (which is already registered with the Telephone Preference Service). They ring my mobile. They ring the door bell. They stuff rubbish flyers through the door, or mail them to me.

[Mailing stuff out speculatively like that has to be an obscene waste of resources: paper, fuel for transport, postage, etc. as 99.99% will go straight in the bin. Although at least it does provide employment for postmen.]

None of it does any good. All these people do is get themselves hated and probably blacklisted. I only ever respond negatively to cold calling.


If I want a product or service I will know that I want it and will go out and look for it. If I don't do that I don't want (or need) it. I do not need you to try flogging me your rubbish that I don't want. And it isn't just people selling things. Surveys, charities, and so on are just as bad. I do not do BUSINESS (of any sort, that does not just mean selling things) with anyone who cold calls.

And if you are stupid enough to cold call me ... do NOT argue with me. You're just digging yourself a bigger pit. And you'll lose. See I've worked in sales. I know all the answers and objections. I know why you do it (basically you're all desperate) and why you'll tell me you do it. I know all the lies.

The first rule of selling anything is to recognise when your (potential) customer has said "NO" and to take the hint.

If I want a product or service I will know that I want it and will go out and look for it. If I don't do that I don't want (or need) it. I do not need you to try flogging me your rubbish that I don't want.

I doubt I know anyone who actually likes people cold calling them. And I'll give you 10-1 that most of the sales droids who do it, detest having it done to them. Which surely makes it immoral for them to do the cold calling.

I've also seen how destructive it is of salesmen. Few survive very long at it. To me that makes it immoral for anyone to be asked to cold call.

So don't do it! It's counter-productive. Remember: Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. Anything less is bad for your karma.

Besides it pisses me off. So you are likely to get a very dusty answer. "I don't do business with anyone who cold calls me. Thank you." [click] is the shortest and politest version. Argue and you'll get more than you bargained for because you've made me angry. Which is bad for my karma as well as yours.

So don't do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment