13 April 2013

Pasta with Chorizo

Another rather super past recipe I did for this evening's dinner. I thought it would work well, having had something of the sort in a restaurant long ago, but I was surprised how good my version really was.

Like most of my recipes it is quick and easy and almost infinitely variable; indeed it is really only a variation on the pasta with prawns and pasta with bacon I've done before — but this is definitely more restaurant-y.

Pasta with Chorizo

Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients (for 2 as a main course)
200g fresh linguine (or pasta of your choice)
200g uncooked chorizo (I had bought this as a pack of 4 sausages)
medium onion
dozen-ish cherry tomatoes (I actually had the end of some leftover onion & baby plum tomato salad plus about half a small tub of smoked cherry tomatoes)
as much garlic as you like
juice of a lemon
generous handful of fresh parsley
salt, pepper, olive oil and parmesan
(You can add sliced mushrooms, olives, etc. if you wish but this really doesn't need it.)

Method
Cook the pasta; you want the pasta ready before you cook the rest of the ingredients (you don't want to be waiting on the pasta and overcooking the chorizo).
While the pasta cooks, finely chop the onion, garlic and parsley; cut the chorizo into 3-5mm slices.
When the pasta is done, or almost so, sauté the onion, garlic, tomatoes and chorizo in a little olive oil. You need to cook the chorizo and get the onion translucent which will take about 5 minutes.
Add the lemon juice and season with a small amount of salt and pepper. Stir.
Now add the pasta and mix everything together to get the chorizo distributed and the pasta coated in sauce.
Add the parsley and mix, cooking for another a minute or so.
Serve with parmesan and a robust red wine.

I was surprised how well the chorizo and lemon worked; I had thought it would but it was even better than I expected with the lemon counteracting the fattiness of the chorizo. The tomatoes, which had only just disintegrated, made a lovely light sauce — just enough to coat the pasta and no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment