10 February 2013

Recipe: DIY Ribs

Here's another culinary experiment from this evening. I did spare ribs, which are cheap, scrummy and so easy to do. Like all my recipes it was made up as I went along and is almost totally flexible. It went about like this ...

I had ...
a quantity of pork individual spare ribs. You will know how many you want to eat, but I'd allow at least 4 full-size ribs per person. You could buy a rack of ribs if you want, and that should work just as well, as would lamb or even beef. I happened to have bought single pork ribs.


For the sauce I used ...
3-4 tbsp HP Sauce
4-5 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of a lemon (and the zest too if you wish)
3-4 tsp Worc. Sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp chilli paste (more if you wish)
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
salt & pepper

And then I did ...
Pre-heat the oven to 190C with fan (200C if no fan).
Use either a baking sheet with 1-2cm sides or a roasting tin. Line it with foil (unless you want to seriously upset the washer-up).
Rinse the ribs and spread them out on the tin.
Put all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix until you have a homogeneous sauce.
Pour the sauce over the ribs and turn the ribs until they're well coated in sauce.
Cover with foil and put in the oven.
After about 40 minutes remove the foil and return to the oven for another 20 minutes to crisp up.
Turn the ribs out into a serving dish/plate and pour over any remaining sauce.

I served these with a simple salad of tomato, onion, cucumber and canellini beans (plus the obligatory garlic and olives), hunks of good homemade bread and a bottle of hearty red wine.

It all disappeared!

No comments:

Post a Comment