- Optician. Just as I enjoy going to the dentist I enjoy visits to the optician. I've always believed in regular eye tests (I've had glasses since I was 14) and not just because of my diabetes. Although I get my diabetic retinopathy scan done by the NHS I also get my optician to do it — if nothing else he now has a record of all the past pictures so if there is any doubt he can cross-check with earlier years. And we always have interesting conversations, just as I do with my doctor and dentist. The only thing that hurts is my wallet: why are glasses so expensive?
- Adnams Gin. I discovered this in Waitrose and as Adnams are my favourite brewers I had to try it. Wow! It is so much more fragrant and aromatic than the majority of available gins. Well worth the extra few quid, in my book. If you're a gin drinker it's definitely worth trying. The Copper House Gin I bought is the cheaper of their two offerings; I shall have to also try their First Rate Gin.
- Lamb & Kidney Pie. Last weekend Noreen did one of her yummy lamb and kidney pies: hot on Sunday; cold on Monday. Even better than steak and kidney!
- Broad Beans. Yet more fresh broad beans this week. They always feel as if they're not good value and with so few beans to the pod they're probably aren't; but at this time of year, when they're fresh and in season I think they're worth it.
- Family Reunions. All I shall say is see here.
02 July 2012
Reasons to be Grateful: 33
Experiment, week 33. Here's last week's selection of five things which have made me happy or for which I'm grateful.