- English Asparagus. Following straight on from last week, this week Waitrose had the first English asparagus. What a lovely addition to a salad on Friday evening; lightly steamed it was succulent and with gorgeous flavour. Hope fully there will be lots more before the end of the (all too short) season.
- Cold Roast Turkey. Last weekend Noreen bought what Waitrose describe as a Turkey Crown Roast. Now "crown roast" to me implies that it's boned and stuffed but this was just the front half of a turkey, sealed in a roasting bag. It wasn't cheap, but it was delicious. It was good as hot Sunday roast (the bag method worked extremely well) but even better cold, with a surprising amount of flavour. And we got enough meals from it that it didn't turn out that expensive after all. (And no sign of the dreaded Turkey Curry either!)
- Apple Blossom. The first of the apple blossom is out: our ornamental crab apple tree is in flower. I love apple blossom especially as the buds are just breaking and have that delightful pink blush.
- Orchids. The orchid my mother gave me is continuing to flower! And we spotted another nice one (above) this week in Waitrose, so now there are two!
- Sunshine. Finally for this week let's have some more sunshine. It's been a dull grey, intermittently wet, week. But yesterday and today we're having some beautiful sunny periods. I feel so much better when the sun is out!
15 April 2012
Reasons to be Grateful: 22
Experiment, week 22. Continuing the experiment here are this week's five things which have made me happy or for which I'm grateful.