No, Kate that isn't easy! It's hard. It's hard because either lots of things make me happy or nothing really does at all. And being a pessimistic old git I lean towards the latter view.
No seriously, and despite my weekly experiment, I really don't know what truly does make me happy. It's a bit like Noreen and I always say: we don't do panic and we don't do really excited; we just get on with whatever life throws at us. That doesn't mean we don't do a certain level of worry or pleasure; just that we don't do the extremes. Bugger it, I'm just too controlled; the emotions don't get enough of a look in?
Anyway, let's try to find five things that actually do make me happy. Whether they're the top five, I dunno!
- [[REDACTED]]. Yes, that's right you really don't want me to go into the first one, if only to protect your sensibilities! :-)
- Beer. I always enjoy a good pint of beer, preferably English bitter, but also preferably not traditionally warm; slightly chilled is better.
- Being Nude. And warm. As in being relaxed in the sun. Regular readers will know I was brought up by bohemian parents, who viewed nudity as no big deal: it's normal and doesn't per se have any sexual implication. We even had a couple of holidays at a nudist club (the photo is me being watered by my mother on one of these holidays) when I would have been about nine or ten. The ethos has stayed with me. And it hasn't damaged me!
- Summer Sunshine. Well sunshine at any time, but especially that lovely warm English Spring and Summer sun when one can sit and relax in the garden and feel at peace with the world.
- The Sea. Or perhaps I mean the seaside. Not the ghastly English seaside resort crawling with brats of all ages type of seaside. I mean more the quiet English seaside town with beach and harbour type seaside. The smell of the sea. And the ability to lounge on the beach in the sun and again be at peace with the world.